FFA competes in virtual contests

Megan Rennegarbe, Staff Writer

This year has made it extremely difficult for organizations to participate in events and hold different fundraisers. It is sadly no different for the Okawville FFA Program. However, the FFA have taken every opportunity they can by participating in virtual contests.

They recently sent their first-ever team to participate in the State Agronomy Contest. This contest tested the participants’ knowledge of agronomy and field crop production. Nathan Lintker led the team with a score of 222 earning a blue ribbon. Also participating was Caleb Unverfehrt with a score of 168 earning a red ribbon and Garrett Green with a score of 90 earning a white ribbon. All of their scores combined earned them 33rd place out of 44 schools total.

Here is what the Okawville FFA Advisor Joshua Berg had to say about what he hopes for the program moving forward, “Right now we are really just waiting for spring events to start. I hope students will be active and take advantage of some FFA events, especially when their schedules may not be as full as a normal year. We have traditionally done well in contests such as Dairy and Livestock Evaluation and I look forward to seeing if we can continue that success virtually.”

Looking ahead, here are some events coming up soon; the Section 22 Proficiency Awards on February 8th, the Ground Zero Conference February 16th-18, and National FFA Week February 20-27. Overall, with the struggles of not being able to meet in person for events, the FFA has done an excellent job keeping up a busy schedule.