Honor Societies Hold Virtual Inductions

Macie Staley, Staff Writer

The Okawville High School has four Honor Societies. They are NHS (National Honor Society), Quill and Scroll, Tri-M, and Mu Alpha Theta. This is the year they have had to change how they do their ceremonies and how they induct them into the societies. They all have certain qualifications to join. Each of them has had their own virtual ceremony consisting of powerpoints, google meet calls, and pins & papers. 

In order to qualify for NHS, a student has to be a Junior or Senior, have a cumulative and scholastic average of 3.5. In order to stay in good standings of the society, students must maintain the 3.5 grade point average, participate in 3 clubs, groups, or sports, attend all meetings, maintain the qualities of Scholarship, Character, Leadership, and Service, complete 5 hours of community service, participate in group service projects, and pay an annual fee by participating in fundraisers for the organization. This year they inducted 11 new members. They had a virtual ceremony this year to induct the members. 

In order to qualify for Quill and Scroll, students have to be a Sophomore, Junior, or Senior, they must be in the upper ⅓ of their class for their cumulative total for all of high school, they must have done some superior work in some phase of journalism or school media work, and they must be recommended by an advisor. Thirteen new members were inducted this year, but they have not yet had a ceremony. 

In order to qualify for Tri-M, a student must maintain a 2.0 in academic classes and a 3.0 in music classes, must be a participating member in the music program, and complete the Tri-M application. Once a member, students have to complete 5 hours of community service. 

The last Honor Society is Mu Alpha Theta and in order to qualify for it, the study must maintain a 3.0 GPA to get invited and that is the only qualification. But there are 62 members in our Mu Alpha Theta Club. Members receive a certificate and member card, as well as cords at graduation, and they remain members for 2 years into college.