Remote Plans ready if needed

Jared Juenger, Asst. Editor

Both sides of the school here at Okawville have been doing a fantastic job social distancing and staying safe.  The teachers and staff influence the three Ws, Wash your hands, Watch your distance, and Wear your mask.  However, the big question is, what will the school do if they start to get a bunch of COVID-19 cases?  

After a few weeks of school, Okawville released its plan on how learning will continue.  An email was sent out to all students and parents of Okawville Grade School and Okawville Jr. Sr. High School apprising them of the Remote Plan.  Attached to the email was a letter from Superintendent Scott Fuhrhop.  The Remote Plan consists of a hybrid schedule for the OGS and full remote for OJSHS. 

K-6 will attend school for half or a day.  Students will either be in the AM schedule (8:00 a.m. – 10:30 a.m.) or the PM schedule (10:45 a.m. – 1:30 p.m.).  Students and parents were notified of what group their child would be in.  Buses would still pick up and drop off students as needed.  

Grades 7-12 will have full e-learning days from 8:00 a.m. until 1:30 p.m.  If a student does not have reliable internet access at home, they will be bussed to school and do their work at school.  Chromebooks were given to every 7-12 student this year.  If OJSHS has to go remote, students may either use a device from home or take the school’s Chromebook home and use it at home.  Students are required to login to each class as they would for their normal schedule.

Again, this letter was just sent out to inform the parents and students of the school’s plan.  Okawville teachers and staff are hoping students can keep coming to school as long as possible.  Okawville does a great job of social distancing and staying safe and healthy and the teachers and staff, along with several students, hope that their precautions help students stay in school!