Science Club Trash Pick Up

Adysen Harre, Staff Writer

On Saturday, September 11, the OHS Science Club attended their annual trash pick up. Around sixteen Science Club members were in attendance.  Each individual present was provided a high-visibility vest and a trash bag; not only that, but Mr. Senior bought Gutzler’s donuts to help motivate the students. The students split up into two different groups to conquer each side of the road. They started on highway 177 and continued along the exit ramp on Interstate 64. This is the sixth year the Science Club has partnered up with the Lion’s Club.

Kim Lintker and Lion’s Club member, Neil Brammeier, organized the pick up along with the Lion’s Club President. “Science Club joins with the Lion’s Club the weekend before the Wheat Festival to help the community prepare for extra visitors in town.  In just a couple of hours of picking up trash, we made a difference to the environment and the appearance of our area.  I also feel like once a Science Club member helps with this activity, they have a new perspective on how much and what kinds of trash people throw out. It might just make someone rethink littering in the future.” says Science Club advisor, Kim Lintker.  This experience is definitely an eye-opener for most students, including myself. While working alongside my fellow classmates, we found dirty diapers, two snakes, a phone, and about fifteen trash bags full of litter all within a mile’s distance. Witnessing these items firsthand allowed me to realize the importance of our economic footprint and how it impacts our community.