Lady Rocket Volleyball has Successful Season

Jordyn Heckert, Staff Writer

The Okawville Lady Netters played a phenomenal season. There were many exciting events that occurred. The highlighted events of this season were Conference, the Pink Out fundraiser, Senior Night, and Regionals. 

This was the first year Okawville joined a conference. The girls went undefeated (10-0) in conference games and gained the title of the 2021 Cahokia Illinois Division Conference Champions. This conference held teams from Chester, Red Bud, Carlyle, Wesclin, and Sparta. Along with this, Sydney Tebbe (senior) and Jordyn Heckert (junior) were named to the All-Conference Team. The girls also won every home game this season. This shows how much value our home court in the O’Rena holds and means to the players. 

As October is Breast Cancer Awareness month, the volleyball team decided to sell raffle tickets as a fundraiser to support a few local ladies who were diagnosed with cancer. These three ladies were Andrea Moeller (breast cancer), Cassie Luecking (ovarian cancer), and Jenna Switala (uterine cancer). This fundraiser was a great turnout, and the volleyball team raised a total of $5,628. All proceeds were divided amongst the families of the recipients. The raffle tickets were drawn on Senior Night to win prizes. The lucky winners were Bill Boeschen ($100 Scratch-Off Lottery Tickets), Melissa Boecklen ($50 Scratch-Off Lottery Tickets), Anne Rainwater (Ring Toss game; made by Kurt Heckert), Susan Peterson (Cornhole set; made by Kurt Heckert), Kelley Heckert (Cinnamon Rolls once a month from Oct-May; made by Debbie Frederking), and Dipal Chaudhari (Cheesecakes once a month from Oct-May; made by the Cheesecake Bandit). 

On October 21, the Lady Netters had their last home game of the season. The girls played a tough match against Carlyle but managed to win in 2 sets. This game was also Senior Night, where everyone honored the seniors of this year and their hard work throughout their high school career. The seniors acknowledged were Alyssa Gavin, Elli Kremmer, Cindy Snyder, Sydney Tebbe, and Zoe Todd. These seniors worked super hard this season and are going to be missed next year. 

The team was ranked 1st in their Regional, which gave them a bye for the first round. On October 27, the girls traveled to New Athens to play in the semi-final Regional game against Christ Our Rock Lutheran High School. The girls won the match in two sets with totals of 20 kills, 6 aces, 4 blocks, 34 digs, 18 assists, and 27 serve receives. The scores of the two matches were 25-14 and 25-22. This advanced the Lady Netters to meet up with Gibault Catholic for the Regional Championship Game. This was a tough match played well by both teams that went into 3 sets. The girls played very hard in the first match and won 25-17, but lost the last 2 matches 17-25 and 20-25. The team’s totals for this match were 26 kills, 5 aces, 7 blocks, 56 digs, 21 assists, and 50 serve receives. Although these girls played a great game, this sadly put an end to their season. Their overall record for this season was 24-8.

Volleyball Seniors on Senior Night