Teacher Spotlight : Mrs. Bowers

Lillian Helbig, JH Staff Writer

Mrs. Haylee Bowers is a teacher here at Okawville Jr. Sr. High School. She wanted to become a teacher because she enjoys being involved in the school community as well as the sports world. “Teaching and coaching were both things that stood out to me early on when I decided what I wanted to do with my life,” Bowers said. 

Mrs. Bowers went to college at SWIC on a basketball scholarship for two years and then went to Illinois College. There she played basketball and finished her schooling. Here at Okawville, Mrs. Bowers teaches PE, health, and also high school weight lifting. She also currently coaches Jr. High Softball. Mrs. Bowers’ goal this year is to build the weight lifting program more and get more students involved in the program.

I asked Mrs. Bowers what made her want to teach in Okawville. Mrs. Bowers replied, “I really enjoy teaching where I grew up,and I look forward to my kids attending Okawville. This district stood out to me because this is where I grew up and where I want my kids to grow up. I like being involved in the community I live in.” Mrs. Bowers started her teaching and coaching career at Red Bud. She has taught 7 years total, 3 at Red Bud and 4 here at Okawville. Mrs. Bowers said, ”The best parts about teaching are my students and players. I enjoy watching them grow into young adults and seeing where their lives take them.”