Teacher Spotlight : Mrs. Albers

Delaney Kuhn, JH Staff Writer

Mrs. Melinda Albers is our school’s one and only school nurse. She not only tackles the grade school side, but she is also the nurse for the high school as well. For her schooling, Mrs. Albers went to Kaskaskia College for her associate’s in nursing, Mckendree University for her bachelor’s in nursing, and she got her school nurse certificate at SIUE. Mrs. Albers also has her master’s degree which she received at the University of Phoenix. She has been a school nurse at West Washington County #10 schools for 28 years, and when she is not at our school she is helping in a hospital. 

These past 2 years have been a lot, especially for Mrs.Albers with covid and trying to keep our school safe. This year alone we have had approximately 70 positive cases of Covid-19. Kids with a positive covid test have to be quarantined for 6 days and on day 6, if they are feeling better, they can come back but have to be strictly masking and making sure to stay six feet when their mask is off. In the past, kids who were in close contact can do a test to stay program where they test 2 times for 7 days. They can actively test for 5-7 depending on how many days are in the week.  According to Mrs.Albers, she can’t think of anything big that our school needs to work on, but she wants us as a society to work on understanding that Covid is a big deal, and we all need to do our part to stop the spread of Covid.