Bowers Named New Head Coach for Lady Rocket Basketball

Adysen Harre, Staff Writer

The Okawville Lady Rockets Basketball team has welcomed a new Varsity head basketball coach. As a 2009 Okawville High School graduate, Haylee Bowers is ready to be back on the sidelines at her home court with her family by her side. 

Coach Bowers says, “I can’t thank my husband Houston enough for supporting me and I look forward to my son Henrik growing up and learning from all my amazing players.” 

After her career as a Lady Rocket, Bowers continued her athletic and academic career at SWIC for two years on a basketball scholarship, then decided to play at Illinois College for two additional years. Upon graduating with a Bachelor’s of Science in K-12 Education focusing on Health, PE, Driver’s Education, and Middle School Science, Bowers also obtained her Master’s Degree in Administration. 

Haylee started her basketball coaching career while student teaching at Routt Catholic High School in Jacksonville. Coach Bowers explained her coaching history saying, “I was there for a year. From there, I coached Jr High softball and basketball at Nashville Middle School for a year.”  She then took a position as the head Varsity Girls’ Basketball coach at Red Bud High School for the following 3 years. 

From being a Routt Rocket, Nashville Jr. Hornette, and Red Bud Musketeer – Bowers was ready to come back to her roots to wear orange and blue once again. She made the move back home to Okawville to teach and coach the Lady Rockets; currently coaching Jr. High Softball for the fourth year as well as entering her first in the basketball program.

There is no doubt that Coach Bowers is the perfect fit for the job as she has had many personal basketball accomplishments. She was named Belleville News-Democrat Player of the Year in 2009 and scored over 1000 points while wearing a Lady Rocket uniform.

Coach Bowers is excited for where this season may lead saying, “I am looking forward to the opportunity to build a successful program and work with the student-athletes as well as the community.” The Okawville community is welcoming Coach Bowers with open arms and high hopes of a successful career.