Kate Garnes Motivates OHS Students

Lynnsie Talley, Staff Writer

Kate Garnes is a motivational speaker. Kate is also a Youtuber, kickbox trainer, choreographer, and author (She donated a copy of her book Mixtape: How To Stop Listening To The Recordings Of Your Past to our school library so it is open for anyone to read). She struggled with chasing after perfection throughout her life. This is the motivation for her work. She sees the same drive in young teens as she had once before. She speaks to let people know that perfection is not reachable, and it should never be the goal. Kate recently came to our school to speak. With a powerful message, she came hoping to bring teens to the realization that they don’t have to believe the lies in their minds. She came to share that we can all find the strength to get back up and fight. We all have the potential to be gladiators. 

At the beginning of her speech, she had students come up and dance. She believes that dancing is good for us. One of the students was Rylan Nelson. Near the end of Kate’s speech, she began to sing “This Is Me” from the Greatest Showman. As she sang, Rylan stood up and began to sing with her. He seemed pretty passionate and the crowd seemed amused. 

It was a fun time! Kate brings the energy, and positivity that young students need. We were honored to have Ms. Kate Garnes at our school to speak.