JH Rockets Soar to Regionals

Jared Juenger, Staff Writer

The Okawville Jr. High baseball team just recently finished their season Thursday, September 13th.  The team finished with a record of 4-13. The coach is Mr. Rick Gaebe who has coached either Jr. High or High School baseball in his past 32 years of teaching at Okawville Jr. Sr. High School!  Mr. Gaebe is proud of the team this year for giving it everything they’ve got.

There are 11 8th graders on the team this year.  Players include Hayden Hagarty, Ryland Helbig, Joseph Jansen, Jared Juenger, Aaron Murphy, Andrew Savard, Grant Schleifer, Landen Schmersahl, Hayden Shubert, and Dusty Wilfong with manager Kyle Schwab.  Eighth-grade night was Wednesday, September 12 against Centralia. Unfortunately, the Okawville Jr. Rockets lost 16 to 1. After the game, the team celebrated their last home game as Jr. High Rockets along with the Jr. High Softball 8th graders and team.  They were awarded gifts and food after the game.

The Jr. Rockets baseball team will play their first regional game Wednesday, September 19th against the Nashville Hornets at the Nashville Middle School.  If the Jr. Rockets win, they will either play Carlyle or Breese for the championship game of regionals which will determine which team will go to the state tournament.  Come out to Nashville on Wednesday, September 19th to support your Okawville Jr. Rockets!