Rockets fight through Mater Dei tournament

Nicholas Rulevish, Editor

It is now the middle of the season for our boys’ basketball team. The Rockets are currently victorious in every one of their regular season games. Recently they’ve beaten Gibault Catholic, Roxana, and Waltonville. However, the team’s tournament performance hasn’t been the greatest. The most recent tournament was the Mater Dei Holiday Tournament, hosted by Mater Dei High School. During the tourney, the boys played a total of five games against some pretty tough competition.

The first game was against Highland which they lost by only two points. Highland is a 3A school, and it’s quite impressive to put up that close of a fight against them. The next game was against the Carlyle Indians. The Rockets crushed the Indians 84-39 with a great team performance. Unfortunately, that would end up being the only win for the Rockets in this tourney. The Rockets then played Mater Dei, Breese Central, and Briarcrest. Briarcrest is a school all the way from Tennessee. They were also a 3A school and beat Okawville 56-24 in a blow-out. Next on the calendar was Breese Central. The score was a little closer than Briarcrest, but still not enough for a win. The score was 53-39. Lastly, the Rockets faced off against the hosts of the tournament, Mater Dei. The Knights won on their home court 42-25.

Despite the tournament performance, the Rockets are having a great season. The regular season has been stellar. A 1000 win percentage is the best you can have and that’s exactly what the Rockets have. Okawville has a chance to redeem themselves during tournament play at the Okawville Invitational starting on January 14th and ending on the 19th. The good news is that the Rockets have won this tournament before. Their main rival that they must beat is Gibault, who won the tourney last year.